The history of the ‘Castello’ has origins that go far back in time.
The manor was donated by Ottone II in the year 900 to the counts ‘Collalto.’ It was later destroyed by the hand of ‘Cangrande della Scala’. It was Girolamo Giustinian, a nobleman from Veneto, to take on the reconstruction in the XVI century on the remains of the original building. Which is the building we now today can admire.
The busts of Girolamo Giustinian and his wife Agnesina are housed in the private chapel to the left of the ‘Castello’. The Giustinian family has left a clear trace in the history of the serene Republic of Venice. One should remember the ‘Dogi’ Stefano and Marco Antonio, the blessed Nicolo Monaco and the blessed Eufemia and San Lorenzo the patriarch of Venice.
Villa Giustinian becomes home to the family for almost four centuries. By the end of the 1800s the last of the branch of the family came to an end and the property goes to relatives. They loose interest in the property for years that it falls in disrepair.
Not until 1930 that Baron Tito Ciani Bassetti when he finds the property and realizes the potential for his dreams to come true. The renovation of the ‘Castello’ allows the original beauty to be found and so begin the wine producing activities that the property seemed to be made for.
The two passions of the Baron, his beloved ‘Castello’ and the good wine have been passed on to the following generations. The ‘Castello di Roncade’ is the venue for the it’s namesake wine cellar. The current owner, the Baron Vincenzo Ciani Bassetti is a great ardent wine lover and an expert in the wine making.